Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Encouragement can change a child's life

Today in one of our schools we were playing a game where the class was divided into two teams and competed in a multiplication game. All the children were so incredibly excited about the game! My teaching style is very peppy and upbeat because these kids sit in a hot classroom for 6-7 hours a day, they get bored. So I try to be as *borderline* obnoxious and happy as I can be! The children love it too! I think a positive attitude makes children love to learn. When I was little, my mother and father always made things fun! Everything had a prize and I was always laughing. Laughing can cure the soul from anything has always been my mentality. Today further proved this. As we were preparing to play our game, the children anxiously lined up to be first in line. Everyone lined up except one girl. Wrapped up in the chaos and excitement of the game, I have her a few minutes to approach the game on her own. After 10 minutes I realized she wouldn't be playing. Baffled, I approached her and asked why she wasn't playing. Her response was simple,  "I'm not smart enough to play." I instantly told her this was not true and told her how brilliant she is and how she should show it off. She insisted she would not be playing. I gave her some space, thinking maybe she needed some time. I could see the longing in her eyes and dissapointment in her face when I accepted her rejection. Heartbroken, I approached it again, she begrudgedly agreed. She was smiling though! Huge success I thought. However, two minutes later, I saw her sitting down again. I couldn't imagine why. I asked her, she said someone told her to sit down. Angered by her poor treatment, I tried again. I have the best pep talk I could think of, and again she got up and tried again. I let her go to the front of the line, and she FINALLY had her moment to shine. She knew every single multiplication answer. I was unbelievably proud. She was so so so happy and excited and the class was happy for her. I don't know who told her to sit down, and nor does it matter. She hugged me over and over and whispered "thank you." If I've done nothing else, that single interaction made these 3 weeks worth it. So many children lack confidence in themselves, building confidence can save their lives and soul. Happiness is so precious and I can't imagine seeing anyone genuinely unhappy at such a young age. A small act of kindness, can go so far for someone else. Always remember to recognize everyone. Everyone is fighting their own battles whether we realize it or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment