Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The View From The Top

Today I hiked to the highest peak in Belize which overlooked all of the souther region and had a beautiful water fall that led into a natural water sourced pool. Genuinely the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. We went with the Police Cadets. These children in this cadet program are those who have fallen through the cracks. Shop lifting, sexually active at 12, skipping school long term, petty crimes and the list goes on. It was so cool to get to hang out with these kids. They have a past but they also have a future and the best way to ensure they get attention is to physically be there giving it to them. These kids were such champs about the hike too. Most were in flip flops and jeans with long t shirts in 100 degree weather climbing a basically verticals rope hiking course for 2 hours. Meanwhile,  my out if shape self was STRUGGELING. I couldn't hardly make it up without being drenched in sweat. I was miserable. Seriously it was Devils Den X 100. I was by myself at one point and had a cliche moment but started thinking about Mulan and the "be a man song" lolz. But I felt like Jane however contrary to popular belief, to the vines hanging in the rainforest, you CANNOT swing from them. At all. It's all walking/sliding down super slick rocks. The water fall was so worth the struggle though. One of the most beautiful sights I have ever laid eyes on. There were three teirs and the higher you climbed, the more beautiful it became. No fish, just natural water streams that pooled into the perfect little hide away. The Mayans had lived in this rainforest and had several tempels built here in this region. However, due to poor funding, these ruins have well, become ruined. They looked like piles of rocks with debris on top from various vegetation. Broke my heart since Mayan culture is so emerssed in our own culture. However, I'm told this is a mute point and nothing can be done to preserve it now that it has laid to waste for so long. If you have not seen any Mayan ruins, GO! These people were not messing around when they built their cities. So beautifull.

No comments:

Post a Comment